Friday, January 26, 2007

I am unique!

So I always knew that white people couldn't tell brown people apart, but its getting ridiculous. When I first moved into my guesthouse it seemed to be a place for Sri Lankans who live abroad to stay at when coming to the city. There were always kindly aunties and uncles in the hallways and sometimes random families. It seems now that the holiday season is over the guesthouse has become the abode of hippies and backpackers. This isn't necessarily a bad thing (some of them are very friendly) but it does lead to a little racial misunderstanding as every white person who stays there thinks that I work at the guesthouse.
The girl who actually works at the guesthouse looks nothing like me. She is Sri Lankan, rail thin, 5 shades darker than me, has long frizzy hair, and about a million other characteristics that make her not look like me. No brown person would ever mistake us. Furthermore, she barely speaks English.
It often happens as I am sitting in the living room watching crappy American movies from 5 years ago or using my laptop, that some other guest comes in and asks me for clean towels or water in their room. I'm usually nice to people and tell them I don't work there. What is obnoxious is that people will come back and ask a second time. Perhaps my American accent and laptop using-self did not give it away in the first place, but I am not there to clean any one's room.
Living alone has also made me very creative in my meal options. Upon leaving India my aunt gave me a packet of 25 rotis. Whenever I want a meal, I just have to defrost one and add some toppings. Obviously I am too lazy to actually cook Indian food so I have had to get creative. Some of my favorites include: roti with banana and nutella, roti with tuna, cucumber, and balsamic vineager all wrapped up, toasted roti with soup, roti with scrambled eggs and tomatoes, roti pizza, roti quesadilla, ripped up roti in some leftover sambar from yesterday's dosa, roti and achar (when I am desperate), roti with peanut butter and M&Ms (when I have had a rough day), Basically the roti has become my new favorite food. It is going to be odd to go back to India and see people actually using it for its intended purpose.

No comments: