Monday, December 4, 2006

checkpoints

One of the most annoying things about this ongoing war in Sri Lanka is the innumerable checkpoints all over the city. Everywhere you go there are checkpoints where cars are randomly searched for weapons, or, more commonly, people are searched for ID. As a non-Sri Lankan, things are very frustrating as I constantly have to carry around my passport and show it to guards who then ask me tons of questions about who I am and where I came from. These checkpoints also make traveling anywhere very inconvenient and going for a simple drive can mean being stopped 3 times and asked the same things. I wonder if there isn’t a better system of doing this than simply checking every single car driving by. I hate that we live in a world where terrorism has become so commonplace.

The terrorists already won the war against moisture because thanks to them people can’t carry chapstick or moisturizer on planes. Now they have to go and win the war on Alisha eating ice cream at night. Wherever they are, I hope they are happy in making everyone’s lives extremely inconvenient.

No comments: